Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Aftermath

Lloret de Mar (see it with Google Earth download the .kmz file here): the Myrtle Beach of the Southern Costa Brava (apparently). Speaking with Americans from NC, I was told that Myrtle Beach was like this. Thousands of shops selling t-shirts, plastic real-look guns, alcohol, and other touristy stuff. I can not imagine going there at the height of tourism season. April was bad enough!

Anyway, I'm throwing a couple of photos up here for your viewing pleasure. The first one is the view from the hotel. When viewing this, I think you have to realize that I had been going on about 4 hours sleep (for 3 days) and playing up-to one hour games on the sand all day long. I just got out of the shower so my hair is a mess and apparently I just wanted to get the picture over!

Here's a pic of the main drag in Lloret. "The Boulevard" as it's called is all about drinking and drinking and drinking. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 or 60 nightclubs on a 1 mile stretch of road. The worst is there are these guys out in front of every club telling you "exceptional offer for you, free entry" but after three nights of this my friend Olivier (bottom photo) remarked, yeah, but every club has free entry!
We learned that you just have to ignore them. If you engage in conversation, you are stuck for a couple of minutes because they keep doing things to try to make you stay.

Since this tournament was technically about Frisbee, I will include this picture of my buddy, Olivier on the beach. It was really a beautiful area (I should have some more photos soon that show more scenery) and frisbee tournaments are usually a ton of fun. Everyone is there to have fun and relax and there is a very convivial atmosphere where everyone tends to chat after the games, during the games, at dinner, in the bars. Plus it gives you a reason to go to the beach. I'm already looking for more tournaments on the beach; there's one on the island of Mallorca (Google Earth .kmz file here) in October that I'm truly going to try to go to.

I'll try to post some more photos once I have them - I'm waiting for people to send me some pics because I didn't take a ton of photos.

PS: Congratulations to France for their brilliantly foresighted move in cancelling the CPE: Precarité forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home