Tuesday, July 18, 2006

YOUTUBING FOR MUSIC

I just want to post a few Youtube videos here to share some great music with all of you. I'm not going to imbed everything for those of you that are still stuck on dial up!!!

This is a great version of my favorite Tom Waits song - live from the Montreal Jazz Festival from 1981:



(for the record, it's called Tom Traubert's Blues and not Waltzing Matilda)

If you like "I Wish I Was in New Orleans" or "$29.00" (29 dollars is my second favorite Waits song-there's something to be said for a line that goes, "all you've got is twenty-nine dollars and alligator boots"), you can find the video from Montreal here. The two are in the same feed. If you only want to see $29.00, scroll through to 4:15.

Moving to other artists: Jacques Brel died in 1978, but he made some great music during his 50 years on this earth. Le Port d'Amsterdam is what an Irish song would be if it was song in French by a Belgian; "In the port of Amsterdam, there are sailors who drink; and they drink and they drink and then they drink some more. They drink to the health of the whores of Amsterdam, of Hamburg and of everywhere else."
You can tell Brel was passionate about his work (if you disagree rewatch this video starting at minute 2:00, he starts to look like those old videos of Hitler giving speeches).

As my friend Alex said, Jacques Brel donne tout (just watch his face) in this video of Ne Me Quitte Pas ("Don't leave me"). For anyone that doesn't understand French (most of you, I imagine), here's the to-English translation of the song (I know that's not great, but it's the best I could find at short notice - you get the idea):



Nina Simone did a great cover of Ne Me Quitte Pas, but I can't seem to find it on Youtube (so I doubt that it exists on video!). Anyway, here's a video of her singing To Love Somebody (ok we don't actually see her, but it's a video of her music). If you want to actually see Nina, here's For A While from Ronnie Scott's.


Since Nina covered some of the same stuff as Dylan did (plus she covered some of his stuff), I'll naturally move into Bob right now. Here's Dylan doing Tangled Up in Blue Live in 1975.

After Jeff Buckley died, there was so much stuff that could be released for profit that many many more albums were released after his death than before. This video of Forget Her was obviously produced after his death...Notice how he doesn't sing at all in the video? Oh well. Great song. He does sing on this version of Hallelujeh from Canal Plus - He even dedicates it to Nina Simone.

Oops, I was almost ready to end this post, but how could I with something from Stevie!!! Sorry sorry. Here's Life Without You.

One last video, by another Belge: I think he's kind of like the European version of Tom Waits; grand affinity for alcohol (although Tom's gotten over that), eccentric beyond belief, gruff voice, etc. Anyway, here's the song Dans Les Yeux de Ma Mère (In My Mother's Eyes).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home